Friday, May 18, 2012

"Bishop's Garden at National Cathedral" (oil on stretched canvas; 12" x 16")


"Bishop's Garden at National Cathedral"


Reference photo

I love National Cathedral and Bishop's Garden in the cathedral ground in Washington, DC.  I would paint there more often if parking is more convenient.  So far, I ventured out twice and came home with two decent paintings, which I am showing below.


"Bishop's Garden, National Cathedral" (oil, 8" x 10")
sold

"National Cathedral" (oil, 16" x 12")
sold

The reference photo for "Bishop's Garden at National Cathedral" was taken on a beautiful summer day last year when I painted "National Cathedral" on location.  This is a great view of both the Gothic-style cathedral and the stone gazebo.  The lawn is a popular spot for visitors to relax and picnic.  If you follow the path to the left of the gazebo, you will be greeted by the flowers in the sunken garden, which is captured in  "Bishop's Garden".

Because of the obvious drawing challenge involved in rendering the cathedral (drawing the gazebo is not that easy either, but in comparison, just a peanut!), I sat on the photo for a long time until yesterday.  I must say that I did a better job with the new painting than with "National Cathedral" in terms of drawing.  I am planning on going out there soon.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment