Wednesday, September 18, 2013

"Dupont Circle Fountain" (oil on linen; 8" x 10") sold


sold


I have a good friend, a fellow artist who happens to be a purist.  She only paints from life, whether she is painting a landscape, figure, or still life.  She went to the famous Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA to work on a 16" x 20" painting seven times!  It is indeed a marvelous painting.  I joined her only once and whipped out a painting in one session.  Both paintings got juried into the same show at the Art League Gallery in Alexandria, VA.  How about that!

Anyhow, this friend suggested that we should paint the Dupont Circle Fountain in Washington, DC on location.  This well-known local landmark happens to be at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, Connecticut Avenue, New Hampshire Avenue, P Street, and 19th Street.  Imagine the noise, not alone the crowd and possibly heat and wind as well!  I ain't a purist.  I said no, took some pictures, and painted "Dupont Circle Fountain" in the comforts of my studio.  Am I bad?

7 comments:

  1. Bad? No, my friend. I call you "sane". However, your friend is doing exactly what's right for her and is doing well. We all need to get over labeling what is right or wrong in art as if it were a religion. Let's do what we love in a way that brings us joy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a brilliant painting, which captured all the subtle color temperature shifts in the shadow, and the warm sunny glow on the right of the sculptures. I think whether a painting needs to be completed on location or can be finished in studio depends on the particular style of the artist and effect he/she wants to achieve: if it is a particular study of the light effect of that day on that location, then perhaps doing on-location work is helpful; but if you want to change the mood or even the season, then having a photo reference and paint in one's own studio is much easier. All methods are just means to an end, not an end for their own sake ;-P. Especially, I hate painting in noisy environment too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't bad, you're brilliant! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the plein aire artists are just plain crazy! I'm with you on the comforts of the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Arena, for your thoughtful comment. I agree, there are occasions that call for plein air painting. Dear Joyfulartist, you are right. Plein air aritsts are sometimes nuts. I used to be one of them! Lol. Thank you, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Arena, for your thoughtful comment. I agree, there are occasions that call for plein air painting. Dear Joyfulartist, you are right. Plein air aritsts are sometimes nuts. I used to be one of them! Lol. Thank you, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete