Friday, May 13, 2011

"White Peonies" (oil on linen, 12" x 9") sold


sold



Yesterday I went to Green Spring Gardens Park to paint, taking advantage of the fourth-straight beautiful day.  I was drawn to these delicate white peonies that just started blooming.  Most of the flowers were in the shadow, only the top right parts being sun-struck.  Normally I would have painted the shadowed areas much darker.  But with so much reflected light bouncing off the paved path to the flowers, it would have destroyed the fresh sunny feeling completely if I had done so. 

I wish you had been there with me to enjoy a perfect weather.  You would also have seen all those delicate colors in the white flowers--pinks, mauves, blues, pale yellows, olives, etc.  It was unbelievable.  So much so that, it was actually hard to organize the dark/light masses.  When you see so many colors, you become seduced by them.  But without the form, all the colors in the rainbow wouldn't do you any good.  For "White Peonies," I kept the background of foliage in the medium dark tone.  I think I like this way better.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment