Monday, March 5, 2012

"Peony Garden" (oil on stretched linen; 12" x 12") sold


"Peony Garden"
sold

"Pink Peonies Bursting" (oil, 11" x 14")
sold

The peony is one of my all-time favorite flowers.  What is there not to like about this gorgeous, fragrant flower?  The only thing I can think of is that peonies droop terribly because of their heavy blooms.  You can try staking the stalks, but there are usually too many flower heads.  You can't get to all of them in time.  One heavy rainfall; alas! they are shamefully dirtied by dragging their pretty faces in the garden bed. 

Last spring I painted a mini series of still lifes from a bouquet of fragrant pink peonies from my garden, as a bud opened and a full blossom faded.  By the time I finished the third painting--"Pink Peonies Bursting," peonies outside were gone.

I painted "Peony Garden" yesterday.  No, they are not blooming yet in northern Virginia.  Everything is early this spring, but not that early.  As I am in full spring mode, impatient to wait for peonies to flower, a photo came in handy.  Do you know what's happening in my garden at the moment?  Daffodils!  Any guess what I may be painting soon?


First daffodils from my garden


No comments:

Post a Comment