Friday, September 23, 2011

"Yellow and Peach Roses" (oil on linen; 8" x 10") sold


sold


It amazes me to see what one can do with 80 square inches of linen.  Six roses!  Isn't the painting luscious, if I may say so?  I used to do lots of flower paintings in watercolor.  As I moved away from this not-so-forgiving medium, exploring more opaque medium of oil, I embraced landscape with enthusiasm.  I love to paint landscapes, especially en plein air, which I didn't really enjoy as a watercolorist.  But, you know, something strange has been happening lately.

I stopped teaching (history at a college, if you are not familiar with my story), and am now painting full time, everyday and happily, if you want to know.  My audience is eBay.  For three months I floundered, trying to figure out what attracts eBay fine art buyers.  Gradually I find myself reaching to my old bag of tricks, something I do well, or better than other subjects --flowers.  Why haven't I thought of that?  I inherited my love of flowers and gardening from my parents.  When I lived in a high-rise apartment, I used to have a patio filled with flowers in containers. 

It all goes back to the old adage in the art business.  Paint something you really love.  I am anxious to see how much "Yellow and Peach Roses" will go for on eBay.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment