Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Apple Tree Blooming" (oil on linen; 12" x 12") sold


sold


Reference photo

I love apple blossoms.  The flowers are pale pink and much bigger than cherry blossoms.  What is unique about them is their deep pink buds, which make an apple tree in bloom a lot more colorful than flowering cherry or pear trees.  Last Wednesday,while driving to run errands, I saw several apple trees blooming in a neighborhood about five minutes from my house.  On the following afternoon, I went back to take some pictures.  As I was about to spend the next three days in a painting workshop, I had no time to waste.  Spring was zipping by fast.

It was already an early rush hour; seemingly quiet streets turned into a heavily-trafficked thoroughfare.  I was a little nervous about taking photos of other people's houses in the first place.  I wasn't interested in their houses, of course, just their apple trees.  But if someone inside happened to see me, they would not have known.  You have to be careful these days, you know.  This particular neighborhood didn't have sidewalks either.  The sun was in the wrong angle too.  I took a few shots and got out of there as quickly as possible.

I liked the above picture the best, although it was backlit and cluttered.  The tiny blue vinca flowers ringing the tree, however, were absolutely perfect.  In my painting, no one would guess where I found this lovely apple tree.  A park?  A quiet corner in my backyard?  Photoshop is not the only way to change reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment