Sunday, August 3, 2014

From the Illustrated Journal Pages of My Summer Vacation (watercolor, pencil, and pen)


"Anne of Green Gables"

I have always wanted to see Prince Edward Island, the birthplace of Lucy Montgomery, who wrote "Anne of Green Gables".  This year my wish came true as we chose the Canadian Maritimes as our summer vacation destination!  As pictures are worth a thousand words, I will share some of the pages from my illustrated journal.  I spent the happiest hours, sketching on location or in the car.

Yes, in the car during bumpy rides!  I think I strained my back as I tried to balance the sketchbook precariously laid on a thick book on my lap, while holding the watercolor box in my left hand and wielding the brush or pen in my right, with the paper towel constantly sliding down from the slot in the door!  Was it worth all the pain I came back with?  Absolutely!


I always pack my watercolor sketching kit first!  I highly recommend the Strathmore Mixed Media sketchbook; it takes watercolor well.

We saw the fragrant wild rose from Rhode Island all the way to Nova Scotia.

Alas, lupines were past the season; we only saw them in a few places. 

The world's highest tides created Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick.  We visited these "flower pot rocks" during a low tide; we obviously couldn't sea-kayak.  It would have been fun, but one couldn't do everything when one had a place to get to.

The itty bitty harbor at French River in Prince Edward Island

Sandcastle building is a big deal at Prince Edward Island.  I even saw a park ranger doing a demonstration of how to build one at Cavendish Beach.  You need wet sand!

Lots of sand dunes at Prince Edward Island.  It's too bad that the girl with a straw hat is smack in the middle of the spread.

The Best Western at Chocolate Lake, Halifax in Nova Scotia has got to be the most idyllic hotel we've ever stayed at.  The hotel ground is on the lake.  I spent an entire morning sketching, reading, and taking a nap on the lawn that looked out the lake while my husband, coming down with his illness, rested and my daughter read in the room.  Yes, he became so sick that we had to go to an emergency on the following day!

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse in Nova Scotia.  I stopped counting how many lighthouses we saw.  I wanted to bring back a small lighthouse for our lawn, but my husband said it would look ridiculous.  Dang.

Covehead Lighthouse in Prince Edward Island.

 Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.  This small sketch simply doesn't describe the world-famous, windswept, panoramic views that greeted us at every stop.

Broad Cove along the Cabot Trail.  While I sketched, my daughter waded in the water and got herself all wet.

Oysters.  I ate seafood for lunch and dinner everyday to my heart's content.

With a dessert after every meal, I gained a few pounds!

2 comments:

  1. Loved your sketch book work! I have always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island; Lucky You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sketchbook paintings are so wonderful I think I need to put Prince Edward Island on my bucket list,,

    ReplyDelete