Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"Strawberry Pickers" (oil on stretched canvas; 16" x 20" x 1 1/2")




In case you are thinking that I haven't painted much in May, here is what I have been up to.  I have been busy taking care of my family and garden.  I have been also working on old paintings to see if I can improve them.  As an oil painter knows, an oil painting is not finished until the artist cannot take it anymore!

For instance, look at the old "Strawberry Pickers" below.  I was no longer happy with the painting I did in 2011.  Although I liked the gestures of the figures, the rest of the painting lacked oomph.  In the "after" version above, the colors are more saturated and brushstrokes are more confident.  These days I paint as if I mean it.  The painting is filled with the joie de vivre.  I am bursting with energy so much that the painting doesn't stop at the edges and continues into the sides!

The painting is about the celebration of joyous spring, luscious strawberries and, above all, carefree youth.  The updated version conveys the message more clearly, don't you think?


"Strawberry Pickers" in the original state; what's up with all the busy strawberry leaf details in the foreground!

"Strawberry Pickers" viewed from the left side

"Strawberry Pickers" viewed from the right side

2 comments:

  1. No question about it; the new version of "Strawberry Pickers" is lively, effective and commands attention. Sometimes I think a painting cannot have too much color...in the right places of course. I haven't been posting either as there is so much to do...gardening, hanging flower baskets, and today....yes, I just removed the varnish from a not even one year old painting because the composition wasn't right...in one area only. Neither was the frame so framer-that-I-am-NOT, worked on it as well. I am also experimenting with various types of framing and even BUILT one of my own today. It's very good, if I must say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your frame! Thank you, Carol, for taking time to leave a thoughtful comment.

      Delete