Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Central Park Sunset" (oil on linen; 14" x 11") sold


"Central Park Sunset"
sold

"Central Park Reflections" (oil, 12" x 9")
sold

If you read my blog regularly, you may remember the above painting.  In the entry on "Central Park Reflections", I talked about how I changed the time of the day and mood from an overcast day to a mellow sunset.  Well, I thought I would give another shot at it in a slightly larger format.  It is still a sunset scene, but I used more paint and more saturated colors.  I love the new version! 

I have been re-reading my favorite art books and doing a lot of thinking lately.  I decided that I should use more paint, be braver, and paint with gusto.  I have come a long way from my watercolor days, in which I didn't show any brushstrokes.  My watercolor paintings were so still and meditative that I could fall asleep while looking at them.  Not that they were bad; they were beautiful and won many awards.  But most artists evolve; so have I.  Now I work in the tactile medium of oil, I should enjoy what the medium can do.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment