Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"At the Aquarium" (oil on linen, 8" x 10") sold


sold


My daughter, then 9 years of age, was fascinated by the sea anemones and was staring at them for a long time at Monterey Bay Aquarium in California.  I took her picture from the other side of the tank.  In the picture, she looks like she is in the water, as if she were a mermaid.

I was intrigued by the concept of three planes--the dark plane in which my daughter was situated, the middle plane of the water tank with all those glowing, myriad of sea creatures, and finally, the front plane where I was standing--painted on a flat surface.  The painting was to be full of mystery, pre-Raphaelite, or bizarre.  It was difficult to execute and took four Wednesdays, with the help of my new teacher, Diane Tesler.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment